Student Appeals

academic advising & transfer center

The Student Academic Affairs Appeals Committee handles requests and appeals for exceptions to George Mason University academic policies for undergraduate undeclared/no-preference students, ELI students, non-degree, guest matriculant and exchange students.

The Office of Student Academic Affairs, Advising & Retention strives to maintain policies and procedures that are consistent with those of the University, as well as what is in the best interest of our students. If you have any questions concerning a particular policy or procedure, please contact the Office of Student Academic Affairs, Advising & Retention or the Academic Advising & Transfer Center for clarification.

Each student is responsible for knowing the rules, regulations, requirements and academic policies of the university. All academic policies and guidelines are outlined in the University Catalog, however students should consult their academic advisor for guidance with regard to any requests for exceptions of George Mason University policies.

To request consideration students must complete the Academic Action Request Form for Undeclared Students and submit relevant documentation in a timely manner to the Academic Advising & Transfer Center. Examples include:

▪ Schedule Adjustment (late course add or withdrawal) from current semester
▪ Total withdrawal from current semester
▪ Schedule adjustment or total withdrawal from previous semester
▪ Credit Overload
▪ Permission to Study Elsewhere
▪ Permission to Study Abroad
▪ Suspension Override
▪ Return from Dismissal

The Committee uses e-mail as an effective way of providing official information to students. In order to protect student privacy and comply with federal law our office communicates only with the student. Requests to the Student Academic Affairs Appeals Committee are reviewed in the order in which they are submitted. We strive to make timely decisions to assists students. Notification of a decision is usually within a week of submitting a request that includes all relevant and required documentation. Delays may result when a student has not provided all documentation. If you have not heard from the office after two weeks, please contact us with regard to your request.

Click below for the academic action request form.
Academic Action Request Form for Undeclared Students