Advisor Mentor Program (AMP)
The MAAN AMP strives to foster and strengthen a team-oriented advising culture at Mason that blends a collaborative work environment with a strategic focus on well-being that nurtures professional development, engagement among peers, and advisor retention. These will be accomplished through:
- One-to-one mentorships between new and experienced advisors from either a professional or faculty advising position
- Opportunities for cross-communication and collaboration through the Mason Academic Advisor Network’s educational and social networks
- Opportunities for growth and development through various training opportunities at Mason and the academic advising community
The mission of the AMP is to expand new advisors’ support network within the Mason academic advising community and foster continued professional development and increase sustainability of personal and professional well-being.
The design of the AMP is to be a one year mentor-mentee relationship that blends professional development opportunities and well-being initiatives on/off campus. The hope is that this program will provide opportunities to connect the new/continuing advisor at Mason on a deeper level with his/her colleagues across the advising community, set/achieve professional development goals, and support professional and personal well-being.
AMP Team Members:
Stephanie Barnett (email@example.com / 3-3514)
Undergraduate Academic Advisor, Criminology, Law and Society, College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS)
Jon May (firstname.lastname@example.org / 3-2470)
Assistant Director, Center for Academic Advising, Retention & Transitions (CAART)
- Mentors will be able to articulate the goals of the Advising Mentor Program.
- Expand new advisors support network
- Foster continued professional development
- Increase sustainability of personal and professional well-being
- Mentors will attend scheduled Mentor training session prior to AMP Launch (Date TBD).
- Mentors will be available to meet with their assigned mentee once per month.
- Faculty or Professional advisor with 2+ years of experience advising at Mason.
- Member of Mason Academic Advisor Network (MAAN)
- Completion of Mason Advisor Certificate (MAC) program
- OR completion concurrently with mentee.
- Interest in helping other advisors at Mason to grow and develop in their field.
Mentor Role with Mentees
- Assist in the development of skills necessary for mentees to succeed as new advisors at Mason
- Motivate new advisors to achieve their professional goals
- Serve as a resource for the mentee
- Encourage mentee to interact frequently with MAAN and advising peers
- Provide support, encouragement, and positive perspectives
- Ask questions and give feedback
What to Do Together?
- Build a positive working relationship by checking-in monthly on advising-related questions and concerns
- Attend professional development opportunities in the advising community at Mason and beyond
- Interact with other mentors/mentees
- Participate in professional and social activities with mentee(s) to share resources and experiences
- Set goals and set specific and measurable tasks to achieve those goals
- Seek advice from mentor to achieve set goals
- Communicate progress and concerns with your mentor on a monthly basis
- Participate in activities with mentor and other mentees
- Be receptive of constructive feedback
- Utilize advising resources on campus and beyond
- Increased engagement and success with the knowledge developed through mentor/mentee relationship
- Increased engagement with advising community and administration at Mason
- Improved communication and networking skills
- Improved time management skills in personal and professional situations
- Plug into the advising professional network at Mason!
What to Do Together?
- Build a positive professional relationship
- Attend advising workshops and professional development opportunities on campus and beyond
- Interact with other mentees/mentors
- Participate in academic and social activities with mentee(s)/mentor(s) to share resources and experiences