Major & Career Explorer Living and Learning Community
Are you a Major & Career Explorer?
- Are you undeclared or unsure that the major you chose is the right one for you?
- Would you like to know more about your academic and career options before committing to one?
- Would you like the chance to learn more about your interests, skills, values, and personality while understanding how they relate to choosing a major and/or career?
If you answered YES to any of these questions then The Major and Career Explorer’s Community could be right for you!
What is a Living & Learning Community?
A living and learning community (LLC) is a residential floor developed by the Office of Housing and Residence Life in conjunction with university academic departments to expand learning beyond the classroom. Students who participate in a LLC live on the same floor and attend at least one class together. They tend to be involved in their communities, be academically successful, and adapt quickly to the academic and social demands of living at a large university. Visit the Transition Center’s website to learn more about LLC’s.
What is the Major and Career Explorers LLC?
The Major and Career Explorers LLC is available for incoming freshmen students who are undeclared/undecided and will assist these students in transitioning to Mason and choosing a major. During the first semester, participants of this LLC will be enrolled in a special section of University 100, taught by the LLC’s academic advisor. The second semester will include University 200: Major/Career Decisions, a 1 credit course which will assist in major, career and self exploration. Explorer students are able to participate in various academic and social activities organized by the Resident Advisors and staff to ensure continuity and connection. Movie nights, theater, game nights and mid-term study strategy workshops are but a few examples of activities that will be provided by this section. To tie in the major exploration component of this section, outside activities would include career panels organized by Career Services, speakers who come to the floor or class to talk about personal career paths and majors, and on-site advising scheduled on a regular basis.
What are the benefits of Living as an Explorer?
- A chance to live and learn with others that have an interest in exploring all the major options at Mason.
- A custom University 100 freshman transition course focused on being exploratory and taught by your own academic advisor.
- Events and workshops designed especially for Explorers.
- On site advising.
- Gained self-awareness through activities, assessments, and workshops.
- Satisfaction with knowing that you have gone through the appropriate steps to choosing a major.
How do I apply for the Major and Career Explorer LLC?
To apply please visit housing.gmu.edu and complete the housing application.Priority is reserved for undeclared majors although all freshman students who are interested in learning about major and career options are encouraged to apply for the Major and Career Explorers Living & Learning Community.