Peer Academic Advisors
Meet our summer 2014 PAAs!
Spring 2014 PAAs!
Searching for new PAAs for the 2014 -2015 academic year!
The Peer Academic Advisor (PAA) position is an opportunity for student-to-student academic advising based on academic and personal experiences of current George Mason University students. Peer Academic Advisors are sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are trained to assist students who are undeclared or thinking about changing their major and counsel students through academic concerns. The PAAs work closely with staff in the Center for Academic Advising, Retention & Transitions (CAART) to provide a high level of service to Mason students. In this position the PAAs will gain the opportunity to further develop their interpersonal and communication skills and expand their knowledge of Mason’s academic programs and services. The PAAs will also gain valuable leadership, organizational, and social skills to help prepare them for future endeavors at Mason and life after college.
- Current Mason student with a minimum of 30-credit hours of completed coursework before position start-date
- Excellent listening, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work well with faculty and staff
- Ability to respond to students in a helpful manner, both in one-on-one settings and in small groups
- Basic knowledge of George Mason University’s services and resources
- Must intend to hold the position for an academic year (fall and spring semester)
- Good academic standing, maintain a minimum GPA of 2.5
Summer PAAs assist the Center for Academic Advising, Retention & Transitions for pre-orientation, freshman and transfer student orientations, and daily advising appointments.