Transferring to a new university can be an overwhelming experience. The staff in the Center for Academic Advising, Retention & Transitions is here to help. Utilizing the resources below after you submit your intent to enroll at Mason and before orientation will aid you in your transition. The first step in attending Mason is to submit your *intent to enroll deposit. Follow the instructions on your Mason acceptance letter.
- Create your Patriot Web account and learn how to register for classes by viewing the *Registrar’s registration guide.
- Pre-Orientation Advising: After you have submitted your intent to enroll deposit stating you are attending Mason, you may wish to speak directly with the department that manages the major of your choice to inquire about pre-orientation advising before registering for classes. Each school/college at Mason provides different forms of pre-orientation advising.
- Orientation: Orientation is required for all new transfer students, even those that have already received academic advising before orientation. Visit the *Orientation website to register for orientation. In many instances, if you have already received academic advising, you may be able to leave orientation early since you have already registered for courses.
- Review Classes: The *University Catalog has the complete list of courses and course descriptions. After reviewing the Major Requirements check in the university catalog for a complete course description to narrow down your options. Speak to an Academic Advisor in your college/school for additional assistance. If you are undeclared or unsure about your major, visit the Center for Academic Advising, Retention & Transitions Located in 3500 SUB I for assistance.
- Register for Classes: *PatriotWeb is Mason’s central location to register for classes, see the schedule of classes, review your unofficial transcript and transfer credit evaluation, and much more.
- Review & Understand the Degree Evaluation: The degree evaluation at Mason is an audit of the courses required for graduation in a particular major and how many courses you have completed, transferred and applied to your degree, and/or registered for to meet these requirements. Visit *PatriotWeb, click on Student Services, Student Records to access and view your degree evaluation and see the remaining degree requirements.
- To view your Transfer Credit Evaluation click on Student Services, Student Records, Academic Transcripts, Display Transfer Credit Evaluation.Confirm that all of your transfer credits have been posted to your student record.
- Pay Tuition: To stay in good financial standing with the university, make sure to pay your bills on time. Visit the *Financial Aid & *Student Accounts websites for additional information.
- New Schools, New Rules:
- Visit Your Academic Advisor: Visit your academic advisor at least once per semester to receive information regarding your courses and academic progress.
- Send Final Transcripts: Send all official final transcripts to the *Office of Admissions for processing. Make sure the final transcript includes final grades for your last semester and degree conferral, if applicable. Verify on your *Degree Evaluation that your VCCS degree or Bachelor’s degree is posted on your academic record, if applicable.
- Immunization Records: All new students are required to provide proof of immunization. Failure to submit an immunization record may result in a hold on your account which will prevent you from registering for classes. Contact *Student Health Services for additional information.
- Requirements for Retention: As a new transfer student, it is important to understand the GPA requirements to stay in good academic standing. The Academic Standing requirements for the university outline minimum GPA requirements to maintain good academic standing with the university.
- Academic Calendar: The *Academic Calendar contains important add/drop and registration dates.
- Policies & Procedures: The *University Catalog contains specific university policies and procedures. Each department handles student requests differently. Visit your academic advisor for additional information.
- University Services: Mason offers a wealth of student services to aid in your transition to Mason and help you suceed.
Need additional assistance? Contact the Center for Academic Advising, Retention & Transitions at 703-993-2470.