Change/Declare Major Questions

What is the process to change (or declare) a major/minor/concentration?

Submit an Undergraduate Change/Declaration of Program Form to Mason Enrollment Central if you wish to change a major or concentration.  If you wish to declare a minor, you must submit an Undergraduate Declaration of Minor Form to Mason Enrollment Central.  An academic advisor’s signature is required for both forms. Reference the Advisor Locator for contact information. If you wish to remove a program, submit an Undergraduate Program Deletion Form online.

How do I change my major?

You need to complete a Change/Declaration of Academic Program form which you can obtain by printing it from the Registrar’s web site Change/Declaration of Academic Program form or by going to their office in SUB I, Room 2101. To complete the form, first have it signed by the department that you are declaring and finally the form must be submitted to the Registrar’s office.

Q: I am changing my major, who do I need to see to do that?

Only the department offering that major can process that request. Contact the department using our Advisor Locator to ask if an advising appointment is necessary to submit the Change/Declaration of Academic Program form. This form can be found on the Registrar’s forms page. Undeclared advisors are available to meet with you to evaluate your progress and discuss requirements before you contact your new department.

When should I declare a major?

Students should declare a major by the time they have earned 60 credits. If you are having difficulty deciding on a major you may want to visit a career consultant in University Career Services, in SUB I, Room 3400, and also meet with an academic advisor in the Center for Academic Advising, Retention & Transitions in SUB I, Room 3600, to review your options.

How do double majors, double minors, and two degrees work?

A double major consists of earning a Bachelor of Art or Bachelor of Science in two subject areas. Students need to complete the requirements of each major in addition to general education requirements. Students interested in a double major must meet with an advisor in each department and will need to have the Change/Declaration of Academic Program form signed by both departments.

Minors normally require 15-21 hours. To pursue a minor, please see an advisor in that academic department. To declare a minor you must submit an Undergraduate Minor Declaration form) to the Registrar’s office. Many minors require an advisor’s signature to declare. If you would like to earn two or more minors, see an advisor in each academic department.
To earn two degrees a student completes the requirements for two different types of degrees, such as a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science. Students must detail a program of study for each degree and obtain departmental approval. In order to graduate with two degrees, students need to complete a minimum of 30 GMU credits beyond those required by either degree individually. Go to the catalog for more information.