Request to Return from Dismissal

Dismissal is typically considered permanent. For details regarding dismissal criteria, please consult your George Mason University Catalog under “Academic Dismissal.”

In exceptional cases, students who have been dismissed may petition for a return to George Mason University by appealing to the Undergraduate Academic Affairs Appeals Committee of the major in which they plan to return, but only after a minimum absence of three calendar years from the university. Although a student may have been dismissed as an undeclared-no preference major, it is only a rare case where a student would be petitioning to return as an undecided-no preference student.

One or more of the following conditions must be met:

  • Demonstrate academic success (2.500 GPA or better) in at least 18 credit hours of classes taken during the period of dismissal at an accredited two-or-four-year college or university. Such credits may be considered for transfer back to George Mason University, but there is no guarantee of acceptance of the credits.
  • Provide other evidence of a renewed ability to achieve academic success including some of the below mentioned interventions.

Factors taken into consideration when reviewing requests for a Dismissal Override may include the following:

  • Documented visit to an academic advisor with a well-defined plan of action in which the student states academic, degree and career goals and lists courses necessary to help achieve these goals.
  • Documented reasons for student’s previous or situational unsatisfactory performance (illness, unforeseen personal circumstances, etc.) and evidence of positive changes.
  • Willingness to speak with other university services and offices that could help student improve academically.
  • Willingness to repeat appropriate courses to improve cumulative GPA.
  • Timing of the request – should be made prior to the start of the semester of return to allow for the possibility of a satisfactory registration of courses.

Petitioning for Return from Academic Dismissal as an Exploratory or Undeclared Major:

  • Complete a Student Academic Request Form explaining your specific request and reasons for returning in a personal statement.  Documentation of classes taken elsewhere should also be included in your request, in addition to any documentation that supports a student’s readiness to return to Mason. 
  • Submit the request form, personal statement and other documentation to your Academic Advisor if you are requesting to return to Mason as an Exploratory/Undeclared major. If you are requesting to return under a different major (it is recommended for a student returning from dismissal to choose a major to return to), the student must follow the steps and processes for that school/college.  Students can find links to the various appeals pages of each school/college as well as major advisor information in the advisor locator table
  • These requests are time sensitive and must be submitted before classes begin. Delays in submitting requests increase the academic component of the request and can have an adverse effect on the final decision.  Requests cannot be reviewed without required supporting documentation.