Students Terminated from a Previous Major/College

Current Mason students who have been warned about possible termination from their major/college and those who have already been terminated are welcome at the Mason Care Network. Terminated students are encouraged to contact with questions.

About the Mason Care Network (MCN):

Our professional staff advises current Mason undergraduates students whose majors are identified as exploratory, changing majors, or non-degree seeking. Our mission is to provide our students with the most accurate and timely information as it pertains to their academic success. All of the coaches in MCN are well versed in the many majors and minors that Mason has to offer as well as academic policies and procedures that can affect student success.

Our goal is to meet with you and discuss possible next steps toward degree completion.

What is academic ‘termination’?

Termination from a major—or from all majors in a college—may be imposed as a result of excessive repeating of required courses without achieving the minimum standard, and for other evidence of continued failure to make adequate progress toward completion of the major. Students must be informed a semester in advance and given a chance to meet the standard or appeal. Once a termination decision has been made, a letter of termination is sent to the student by the dean or director of the school or college, and notification of termination from the major is affixed to the student’s academic record. Students who are terminated are no longer eligible to pursue that major, but may transfer to a different major within the university to complete their undergraduate degree. (AP.5.2.4 Termination from the Major)

Next Steps for Terminated Students by School/College: