Academic advisors are here to assist you with developing your academic and career goals and to support you to meet those goals. We provide you with resources and information in this collaborative process.
Below are the outcomes for you to achieve during your first year to enhance your experience at Mason:
- Identify major Academic Advisor
- Demonstrate how to contact and/or make an appointment with major Academic Advisor
- Locate academic information using Patriot Web (e.g., transcript, course schedule)
- Explain the connection of the Mason Core requirements or Honors College curriculum to a liberal arts education
- Articulate the academic/experiential requirements for your major/minor
- Use the course registration system to add, drop, or withdraw from courses
- Locate campus student resources appropriate for their individual needs
- Locate the university academic calendar for important dates and timelines
- Use the university catalog to learn about university policies, procedures, and regulations
- Explain the Mason Academic Standing policy
If you were just admitted and you haven’t yet, make sure to complete your next steps for first-years or international first-years.
First Year Student Resources
New Student and Family Programs has a great website for First Year Student Resources that we recommend bookmarking and using throughout your time at Mason.
Math Placement Testing
Completion of the Math Placement Test is required for the following math courses: MATH 105, 108, 113, 123, and 125.
- If your major requires any of those math courses, then you need to complete the test.
- If you are considering any major or program that requires any of those math courses but have not yet decided, you are encouraged to complete the test.
- Any student despite major or math requirements may take the test.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Be aware of the following dates and deadlines
- First day of classes
- Last day to add a class; last day to drop
- Last days to drop with tiered tuition reimbursement
- Last day to withdraw or selective withdraw
Frequently Used Mason Sites
Here are the main uses for each of these sites (though some items can be done on multiple sites)
- Patriot Web: register for classes, check your schedule, check grades, request transcripts, view student records
- DegreeWorks (accessed through Patriot Web): degree evaluation and progress, evaluation for other programs
- NavigateMason: schedule advising/tutoring/coaching appointments, contact advisors
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that governs the education records of students.
Mason does not release non-directory student information unless the student has provided consent to release this information to a parent or guardian.
FERPA Consent to Release Student Information – online form (student must log-in with NetID and password)