Study Elsewhere

 Request to Study Elsewhere (permission to enroll)*

Students enrolled at George Mason University are expected to complete their coursework in residence. Exceptions to this policy are considered only on a case-by-case basis. All students must obtain advance, written approval from the Undergraduate Academic Affairs Appeals Committee of the Dean’s Office of the course before enrolling in a course elsewhere.

In order to have an exception considered, students must have completed the immediately preceding semester with a GPA of 2.00 or higher and be in good academic standing. Freshmen and new transfer students are not allowed to take courses elsewhere as they have yet to establish an academic record at George Mason.

Reasons NOT considered to be enrolled in courses elsewhere include – but are not limited to – the following:

  • Course has been attempted unsuccessfully at George Mason – you may not repeat this course at another institution.

Courses elsewhere that have been pre-approved must be taken for a grade and be passed with a GPA of 2.00 (on a 4.00 scale) or higher in order to be transferred to George Mason. Official transcripts must be sent after completion of the course. Although credit for the course can be transferred, the grade for the course will not transfer. 

The study elsewhere form is linked below and includes additional details and procedures. 

Study Elsewhere Form

*For Provost Undeclared Students Only