Current Advising Services

All schools and colleges across Mason are offering full academic advising services.  Most academic advising meetings and interactions will be virtual to ensure the most positive experience for both the student and advisor.  Virtual options allow more flexibility in availability and times of appointments offered.  In addition, it allows for mask-free interaction and the ability for the advisor to share their screen. Limited in-person advising will be offered in some departments, in which case the advisor and the student will need to remain at least 6-feet apart.

Academic Advisors are assigned to students based on their declared major within their school or college.  For the most up-to-date information on advising services, please visit your school or college advising websites listed below.  

Carter School for Peace and Conflict Resolution
College of Education and Human Development
College of Health and Human Services
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
College of Science
College of Visual and Performing Arts
Schar School of Policy and Government
School of Business
Volgenau School of Engineering 
Mason Care Network (Exploratory, Undeclared & Non-Degree Students)
Honors College*

*Academic advising within the Honors College complements advising provided by the student’s major and/or minor advisors.  Students can find their Honors College advisor by visiting this site and searching by major.  Honors College students with general advising questions can also send an email to

If you are unsure of which school/college your major resides in, or if you are unsure of how to find your advisor, please use our Advisor Locator tool. 

COVID 19 Information

For information on the Mason response to COVID 19, operations and resources please visit the below sites:

University updates:
University Life and Academic Resources:
Safe Return to Campus Plans:

Frequently Asked Questions


Please review the Registrar’s website for this information, as well as the Student FAQs.  These address questions such as: How do I select the alternative grade mode? How will academic standing be determined for spring 2020? If I select alternative grade mode, will the course be able to count towards my requirements?  Will the alternative grade mode option impact my….financial aid? Veteran’s benefits? Scholarships? All of this is addressed in the FAQs.

As an academic advisor, you can walk through these FAQs with students and help them make a decision by providing them the information surrounding the alternative grade mode policies.

Load More

Idea sharing and asking questions can be done via the MAAN email list serve.  If you are not currently a member of MAAN and on the list serve, you can request to be added here:

In addition, a Webex Teams group was created for academic advisors and coaches called GMU Academic Advisors.  You can request to join this group within Webex Teams or a current member can add you to the group.

Load More

Central communications sent to students, updates regarding operations, student services and resources for students during this time are being housed here:

Load More

Load More

Load More

Load More

Load More

During the spring 2020 semester, students who are seeking to register for MATH 105, 108, 113 (CS 112), 123 and 125 for summer or fall may self-place and register for the course they feel they are most prepared without taking the Math Placement Test. It is imperative for advisors to communicate to students that they need to self-place into the course for which they are most prepared.  Students will not be guaranteed the same placement for a future semester should a sufficient grade not be earned during this emergency time period.

Students who do register for one of the above MATH courses for the fall 2020 semester, they will be required to meet the listed prerequisite (or passing score on the math placement test) by the last day to add if campus is opened to students and faculty sufficiently in advance of the fall 2020 semester. This will be determined at a later date.

For more guidance, please refer to this website:

Load More

Welfare checks for students off-campus: These checks are managed largely in the same way as they were managed prior to COVID 19 and distance learning.  Anyone concerned for a person (or self) can call either 911 or Mason PD (703.993.2810) to share the information and the location of the person of concern.  Local police in the jurisdiction of the student’s location will do a welfare check and take action as appropriate.

Welfare checks for on-campus student: Mason Police will respond to requests for on-campus welfare checks, and will take action as appropriate.  CAPS On-Call  is still available, as needed.

SSAC is operational and working with students who are in distress.  Referrals can be made to SSAC either through their online referral form or by phone (703.993.3686).

Load More