Exploratory, Undeclared and Non-Degree Student Exception and Appeal Requests


Undergraduate Exploratory and Undeclared Students

If you are an undergraduate exploratory or undeclared student (as stated on your transcript) your academic request or appeal begins with your academic advisor. You can find your assigned Exploratory advisor here, where you can either email your advisor or schedule an appointment to see them to discuss your academic request.

In preparation for the communication with your advisor, all of these types of requests begin with the Academic Action Request Form for Exploratory and Undeclared Students and often require additional relevant documentation to be submitted with the form.

Some examples include:

Schedule Adjustment (late course add or withdrawal)
Full Semester Withdrawal
Credit Overload
Permission to Study Elsewhere
Returning from Academic Suspension
Academic Suspension Override Request (Deadline is before the first day of class)
Return from Dismissal (Deadline is before the first day of class)
Course Repeat Policy Exception

Decisions to these requests are sent via email which is the most effective way of providing official information to you. In order to protect student privacy and comply with federal law our office communicates only with the student. Requests are reviewed in the order in which they are submitted, and reviewed as quickly as possible. We strive to make timely decisions to assist students.

Notification of a decision is usually within a week of submitting a request that includes all relevant and required documentation. Delays may result when a student has not provided all documentation. If you have not heard from the office after two weeks, please contact us with regard to your request.

Academic Action Request Form for Exploratory/Undeclared/Undecided Students

Non-Degree and Guest Students

For undergraduate non-degree, guest matriculant or exchange students, you can email the Undergraduate Education Advising Coordinator, Sarah Squire, at ssquire2@gmu.edu, detailing your concern or request.  The Advising Coordinator will then work with you on the forms and/or documentation needed for your academic request.